The current commercial dog food recall has made the majority of the dog owners become aware of their pet’s health. Though, for those who have thought out to make daily meals for your dog in your own home, then there’s nothing great about this. Nevertheless, the very first time pet food cookers may feel just a little skeptic about this. So, why not go through these simple recipes that will make your pet devour and enjoy eating.
Recipe Homemade Dog Food
- Doggy hamburger helper- Combine fried 1 cup of hamburger meat in 1 tbsp of canola oil, 2 tbsp cottage cheese, 2 chopped boiled eggs, Baby food carrots and green beans(1 jar each)and ½ a cup cooked plain oatmeal. Serve within three days.
- Doggy fish dinner- mix 1 can of boneless salmon, 1 beaten egg and 3 tbsp cornmeal together, form their patties and use cornmeal to coat them. Fry in very less quantity of canola oil for browning it’s both sides. Make small bites of patties and stir them with boiled and chopped vegetables like potato, stick celery and carrot (1 each). Put cottage cheese for bringing moisture. Polish it off with 1 tbsp peanut butter and serve.
- Doggy casserole- Stir together a mixture of 3tbsp unsalted chicken broth, ½ cup cooked brown rice, 1 cup boiled and chopped poultry and ½ cup boiled mixed vegetables. You can add a doggy multivitamin supplement for good measure. Store the unused food in refrigerator, but in a covered pot.
- Dog biscuits- Mix ½ tbsp baking powder in 1 ½ cups of whole wheat flour. Stir in ¾ cup milk and add the same amount of peanut butter to it along with 1 tbsp honey. Make dough out of the mixture and roll out on a floured surface into ¼ of inch thickness. Cut into biscuit sized pieces. Put them on a greased cookie sheet in a preheated oven at 375 degrees and leave until brown.
Category: Meaty Treats
Serves: 30 Treats
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
If your puppy is paying attention to his weight, you know, getting a little big on the waist line or just a little heavy to live the best life, then why not use Chicken or Beef broth instead of the stock. Try to find some low-sodium or light dog treat recipes as they contain fewer calories but keep all of the flavour locked in so your dog will love them.
– 1.3 Ltrs (5 1/2 cups) of whole wheat flour
– 120 ml (1/2 cup) of buck wheat flour
– 360 ml (1 1/2 cups) of cornmeal
– 480 ml (2 cups) wheat germ
– 120 ml (1/2 cup) dry milk
– 1 package of yeast, dissolved
– 250 ml (1 cup) chicken stock or broth
– 250 ml (1 cup) beef stock or broth
– 1 egg
Preparation & Cooking:
1. To start with you will need to combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl and then mix in the yeast and broths.
2. Then knead the mix until you a stiff dough is formed.
3. Then grab your rolling pin and roll the mixture out into a 1/4 inch thickness.
4. Then, with your cookie cutters, you might want to get some dog themed one’s, cut out your cookies.
5. Get yourself a baking tray and grease it lightly and then lay out your cookies with about 2 cm’s between each one.
6. Pop them in the oven and let them bake for about 45 minutes at 180°C (300°F).
7. Turn off the heat and allow them to cool overnight in the oven. Don’t take them out as the heat will continue to cook them for a while and will add that special something that your dog will love.
Remember to never serve them hot to your dog, you might just burn his tounge and then you will be up for a visit to the Vets.
These recipes will not only help you cook nutritious homemade pet food, but also become a treat for your pet.